IMPORTANT: MPS Switches to Distance Learning
Parents, we wanted to make sure you understood what is happening with your child’s learning for the rest of January. The information can be very overwhelming and confusing so I hope to clear up your confusion with this message. All this information will be on the Sullivan website as well.
We are moving to a temporary online learning model from January 14th until January 28th. In person learning will resume on January 31st. MPS has decided to move to this model because of the number of positive COVID cases impacting staff and students. We are hoping that by moving to an online model and decreasing the number of interactions between students and staff we will see a decrease in the number of positive COVID cases.
We are strongly encouraging any family who is able, to please keep their child/children home during the online period. If you are not able to have your child/children home during the day Sullivan will be open, but it will look very different for our students while they are here. Students who come to school will be placed in a classroom with a supervising adult who may not be your child’s teacher. They will be joining their regular classroom teacher on their computer, there will be no in person instruction happening for students in the building. Students will stay in their assigned classroom for the duration of the school day. The only time students will leave that room is to go to lunch. Since students may be grouped with students from other classes so we will provide headphones so as not to disrupt each other’s learning. Families who must choose to send their child/children to school will continue to have access to transportation, breakfast and lunch.
- Families who choose to stay home to do online learning will have access to meal boxes. You are able to pick up bagged meals from the school every day during the school week.
- Friday the 14th is going to be a planning day for teachers. Your child will have asynchronous work to complete on Friday so teachers have time to plan online lessons. Online synchronous classes will start on January 18th.
- Online learning will follow the same daily schedule so please make sure your child is logged on by 7:30, teachers will continue to take attendance during online learning.
- Students will be bringing home their school devices. If there is a technical problem please call the school and we can assist you. If you are in need of a hot spot please call the main office.
- Quarantines will continue as usual. If students are currently quarantined they are not able to be in school until their quarantine is over. Students are able to come back once their quarantine is over, but we are strongly encouraging parents to keep the students at home for the duration of online learning.
- After school classes and Beacons and Minneapolis Kids are cancelled.
Please let your classroom teacher know if you are choosing online at home or at school so we can be prepared. We are hoping families are make a decision and stick to it until January 28th. It will be very disruptive for students if they are changing their mind about online at home or at school throughout the nine days. If you choose online at school and your child is sick or showing symptoms of COVID we will follow our same procedures of sending the student home. Also if a student or adult in your child’s learning group tests positive we will continue to quarantine anyone who was considered a close contact.
We will continue to update families as we get more information. Please call the Sullivan main office if you have any questions, 612-668-5000.
Jenny, Jamie and Peter